Thursday 30 August 2012

The Race


I was sweating so much I thought I might not be able to hold my paddle. I was so home sick. I wished my family was here. Butterflies fluttered around in my stomach, and I started to shake. I knew NZ was cheering me on, and I felt a wave of power rush through me. I had to win this for my country, I just had to!

I got into my kayak and paddled my way over to the starting line. I strained to hear what was being said but gave up very quickly. I looked down and saw that I was gripping my paddle so hard my knuckles turned white. I loosened my grip while my mind strained with concentration. Beeeeep! I pushed off, racing past the others at an amazing speed. I just heard the commentary yelling “And Lisa Carrington of New Zealand takes an early lead, but will she stay in that position?” I kept going, aware of the finish line just ahead, and my opponent’s right behind me. I reached the finish line. I couldn’t believe it I had won a gold medal!!!

I stood on the podium pride rushing through me. The gold medal was placed around my neck. It was a mixture of emotions, excitement, happiness, pride. The NZ flag went up, the national anthem blared, and the crowd cheered. I went back to the Olympic Village with a great deal of noise from the NZ athletes. They seemed to be having a party in my honour, but I went straight to bed as I was exhausted from the race. It was one I’ll never forget.

Congrats to Lisa Carrington NZ is Proud of you!


No comments:

Post a Comment